Saturday, May 28, 2016

Chapter Three- The Art of Photojournalism



Photo by: Henry Peach Robinson
Year created: 1858

What feelings did the image create? 

This photo brought me feelings of sadness. But it also brought me some happiness to see that what looks like her family is still surrounding her even though during this era, Tuberculosis was probably an unknown to them. They did not know of any treatment or if it was contagious, yet they stay by her side to care for her. Made me feel some relief for the dying girl to know she was not alone.

Is the Image Black and White or Color?

The image is in black and white. The photographer did not have choice. Even if this photo could be in color, I would still leave it black and white, so color would not distract the viewer from feeling the emotions this family is enduring from the girl’s sickness.
Subject’s Expression

The subject looks sad. She looks hopeless and depressed. Her emotional expressions seem appropriate for what she is going through.

Why did I choose the image?

I chose this photo because it was related to the medical field. I love seeing how medicine has evolved throughout history. It is very interesting to see a photo from a time that shows people suffering from diseases that would inevitably kill them but now could be cured or treated.



Image by: Arthur Rothstein
Year created: 1936

What feelings did the image create?

This photo gave me a feel of loneliness. The three people in this photograph seem to be far from any other human contact. Especially during a time of tragedy, it must have brought them fear to know they are alone

Texture

The texture of the ground seems grainy. They are surrounded by a sand storm and can imagine their skin feeling dirty and rough. The only solid texture is the house which I feel is being used to represent their safe place during this storm.

Quality of Light

The light is very uninteresting. It may represent that there is only sand in the air surrounding them. Maybe symbolizing there is not much sight for these individuals.

Why did I choose the image?

I chose this photo because it represents the time during The Great Depression. I felt that the photo itself was able to describe the hardships these people had to endure during this time. I also found it interesting that the photo shows that children, even though very young still endured the same effects from this time.

   

Image by: Lee Goldsmith
Year created: 2013

Rule of Thirds

The main subject, the road, continue far out enough that in this photo it can be cut into thirds horizontally. I feel like the bottom represents where you are in life. The middle represents where you are going, and the top represents where you could go.

What Feelings Does This Image Create?

This image gave me feelings of home. I felt like it can represent someone going through a rough time in their life or has made mistakes. It can show you that you can stay where you are or you can move forward and make a change.

Is the Image Black and White or Color?

This image is in color. The colors in this photo really make it look positive. It allows you to see how perfect the weather of that day was bringing positive energy.


Why Did I Choose the Image?

I chose this image because when I saw it I instantly wanted to go there. It looks like a place of peace, where no one is around but you don’t feel lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment